Discretionary Learner Support (DLS)

To get help, you will need to meet the residency requirements for fee remission. You will also need to show that financial difficulties are likely to prevent you from following and completing your course.

We’re sorry that receiving Asylum Support does not qualify you for this fund.

We will ask you to provide evidence that financial difficulties are preventing you from learning. This might include:

  • Proof of income-based benefit (e.g. your WEA Enrolment Form) or
  • Proof of annual gross household income (e.g. wages slips or bank statements for 3 months) and
  • A description of the financial circumstances affecting your learning.

If you can provide evidence of your annual outgoings (e.g. rent or mortgage, fuel, rates and utilities) this might also strengthen your claim.

If you receive cash payments from Discretionary Learner Support, and you are on an income-based benefit, you will need to declare this to Job Centre Plus.

Is there anything else I need to do?

If you receive financial support, you must:

  • Let us know straight away if your circumstances change
  • Refund the money if you leave without good reason
  • Return books and equipment at the end of the course if asked.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s